Wednesday, January 27, 2010

End of the Beta, and Memorial Tribute to an Old Friend

So, the Open Beta for Star Trek online ended last night at around 9pm (Eastern Time). It was a relatively normal game day (if anything can be considered "normal" in a beta testing environment) until about 5pm, and that is when things began to get interesting. There was an announced planned Klingon invasion into Federation space (which probably should have just been sent to klingon players to begin with) that everyone knew about, so Federation fleets were amassed all around key systems and starbases(Sol, Vulcan, Bajor, DS9, DS K-7, etc) awaiting their arrival. To begin with, the Klingons didn't seem very organized,as they kept going into federation space in ones and twos, and getting picked off rather quickly and easily. The Klingon players were also sharing general chat with those on the federation side, and we weer bombarded by their constant (and very unklingon)whining and crying that we were "spawn camping" and not playing fair. (Hey, there's a lot to be said for organized gameplay within groups.)

This went on for a while until the next stage of the event began- a massive (and I do mean MASSIVE) Borg invasion. This sucked everyone into it, Klingon and Federation alike, from the lowest ranking ensign to those who had somehow achieved Admiral rank. This proved to be more fun than the failed Klingon invasion, because - well- the Borg were NPC and computer controlled, and also more powerful. I got sucked into my first battle, and was promptly obliterated, and obliterated, and obliterated. Thankfully, by the fourth time I respawned, there were a few more players that had gotten sucked in, so with some combined effort, we were able to pick off some of the Borg as well as the few Klingon players that hadn't gotten smart enough to leave (yes, we were STILL getting their complaints that we shouldn't be targetting them- even though they were targetting us, because "they can cloak and attack the borg that way" -Illogical. The Borg can see through any cloak.) I played along with this for about an hour, before I got tired of it and sought out the safety of Earth Starbase. HA! As soon as I beamed down from my ship, there were borg drones EVERYWHERE. I picked off a few here and there, got killed a few times, and called it a night. Despite the seemingly poor planning, and crying Klingons, it was a rather fun event, and I look forward to playing in the Jump Start on Friday.

In closing, I would like to introduce you to my second (or third) ship that I acquired in the game. The USS Anderson, NCC-93787. I figured that I wasn't going to get to commander rank before beta ended, so I created a cruiser to test out. This ship was named as a tribute to an old BBS friend, Mr. Philip C. Anderson (aka. the Viking) who died almost ten years ago due to complications from diabetes. I'd been thinking about him a lot lately, and how it was through him, and his old computer BBS, that I met a lot of the friends I have today. I also found out recently that his wife, Barb, passed away suddenly on January 4. Both Phil and Barb were good people, good friends, and are very sadly missed. Here's to you, you crusty old Viking, sailing around in that great longboat in the sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment

my playlist

This div will be replaced