Monday, February 8, 2010

Wonderful weekend...

This past Saturday (Feb 6), I ventured to Akron, OH to surprise my eldest niece, Christina (aka "Beaner") on her 16th birthday party. This had been in the plans for at least a couple of weeks, and I wasn't about to let a little bit of snow deter me. I left Erie at approximately 10am, and there was not a flake extra on the ground than there was the night before, so I was optimistic about the rest of the trip. My sister had called the night before, and wanred me that they were supposed to get about eight inches of snow, but since I drive in that kind of yuck every winter, I wasn't too worried. The roads were clear, and driving was good... at least until I got to within 10-15 miles of my destination. Then it started to get bad. It had stopped snowing, but the roads were still not completely cleared, and most of the traffice was moving at about 10-15 mph below the posted speed- logical for most, unless you're an Ohio driver. I had seen a few cars ditched or rolled over along the road, and one Auto Transport truck on its side in the median area with what were once shiny new cars lying in various states of ruin around it. Being the careful driver I usually am, I slowed my speed to compensate for the road conditions, and was doing fine until some maniac from Cuyahoga county (it was on his license plate) decided to try to pass me doing about 70. He quickly realized that passing may not have been such a good idea, and pulled back into the driving lane - without signalling, and splashed a crapload of snow and sluch all over my windshield, almost causing me to go off the road. He continued his "breakneck speed" on down the road, and I saw the same idiot off the road a few miles later cussing at his car (ok, how was it the CAR's fault that you went off the road- IDIOT?). All road conditions and idiots aside, I finally arrived at my sister's home at about 12:30, and was promptly greeted by excited nieces and nephews. Chrissy came downstairs and gave me a big hug and kiss, and opened the presents we bought for her. I gave her the entire "Twilight" series of books, and Kat sent some earrings and a bracelet. we visited, watched a couple of movies, and talked until other people came, when we ate. The girls brought out their karaoke microphone and started to sing along to their favorite noise (I don't consider Eminem to be real music) and played a couple games on the X-box, until the others had to leave. I stayed an hour longer and then left for Erie myself (I made two wrong turns, and almost got lost on the way home). All in all, it was an enjoyable weekend, and I had some good, quality time with my sister and her family.

Side note: I made it to Lt Commander 6 on STO on Sunday. Will post pictures of my latest ship later on.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you had an awesome weekend Dave. Sounds better than mine.

    Randy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Randy. I forgot to mention my nephew almost ruining the day for everyone by being a brat because he wasn't getting the attention. He learned very quickly NOT to piss off "Uncle David", who promptly subdued his little tantrum by getting the pressure point behind the neck and marched him upstairs to his bedroom by the nape of the neck. He also got a nice slap on the face for calling his mother a few choice names that I won't repeat here.

    ReplyDelete

my playlist

This div will be replaced