Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Stop The World... I Want to Get Off!!!

So, it's been a weekend from the old H-E-Double-Ell. First of all, on Friday, I got a lovely letter from my ever-so-lovely friends at the unemployment office that they were threatening to cut my unemployment benefits because "I made too much at Erie Business Center" (my school, where I work through the Federal Work-study Program to help pay for my education expenses). First off, I was told both by the school and UC, upon applying for FWS, that it would NOT affect my ability to receive UC benefits because it was financial aid for school, and thus exempt, and not reportable income. Therefore, I had been filing regularly for a year, with repeated assurances from UC, everytime I had to renew or file for an extension, that it was exempt. So now, because they are no longer using my old job at West as basis for my determination of beniefits, and are now using my "wages" from FWS at the school, they are treating it as sustainable income, and claiming that I'm making too much to receive the paltry $106/week allowance they determined I was eligible for. So, because of all of this, I was fretting and worrying all weekend about what to do once Monday arrived. Monday came, and I took the note to school, where the lady in the financial aid office typed up a nice letter on my behalf to tell them EXACTLY what the money I made via FWS was for, and that it is to supplement my financial aid since I don't qualify for the state grants anymore. When I get my monthly checks, I'm lucky if I get to see $10-20 of it. I then asked Mr. DeSanti for permission to leave class early, so I could take care of it. I left school and headed for the unemployment office, only to be told that I couldn't talk to anyone there, and to leave my paperwork in the drop slot outside. Upon getting home, I was then greeted by a letter from the wonderful gas company that they were going to shut off my service for being behind one payment (gee, I wonder why?), and of course it was too late to call them by then, so I had something else to worry about, causing me to lose more sleep last night. So I woke up after only two hours of sleep and called them first thing in the morning, and they claimed they couldn't help me, but kindly gave me the number to the Energy Assistance program, and they told me that they would take care of it, and all I had to do was put my SS# on the shutoff notice, and put it in an envelope marked "LIHEAP" and drop it in their drop off box. That done, I headed to class one worry lighter. Now all I have to do is wait for UC to drag their feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

my playlist

This div will be replaced